Survey - Which Tutorials Do You Want Created?

I have to second the thing about triggers in different contexts! It took me forever to stumble upon an explanation of what I was doing wrong!

Another thing I could use a bit of extra guidance on is...balls. No, I'm serious! It's probably either too broad or too narrow a subject to merit its own tutorial, but I've been struggling to get various gameplay features to work together with Things That Bounce. I understand that the two categories of items that can do that naturally are Projectiles and Physics Objects, but each seems to have its own unique limitations that make it hard to mix with other kinds of templates and frameworks. It would be very helpful to see demonstrations of any gameplay features a bouncing object CAN be combined with, or how to make a plain CoreObject move similarly to a Physics Object or Projectile without breaking the way it interacts with other objects.

1 Like

Autonomous driving with steering behaviours such as path following, collision avoidance and pursuit would be amazing!

I am currently working on this myself, and it would be nice if everyone (even those without programming language) can learn steering behaviours. It opens the doors to many complex AI behaviour, especially with vehicle driving.

1 Like

Art Tutorials Ideas

• Lights (and performance)

• How to kitbash using the least possible amount of geometry, when to use or not to use merged models.

• How to create quick environments or maps.

• Understanding Geometry which piece of geometry to use in which cases and why.

• Scaling, The right way.

• Post process, when to use them and how to implement them to add additional gameplay.

1 Like

Creating personal spaces in Core. Creating an apartment, House or otherwise a personal space in Core.

This includes setting up
1). Scripting on custom doors.
2). Adding Sit scripting for furniture
3). Perhaps basic on/off light switching.

Along with some basics in using Whitebox assets or some of the themed building sets. Some people are not even aware of the corner pieces which are intended to be used with whitebox assets or how to correctly snap rooms or buildings together with whitebox pieces.

I'm making this suggestion after chatting with a few people in Core World Social Areas, which were interested in creating this own Personal Apartments/Homes in Core. Very much in the same manner which people in Social Platforms such as Second Life, Sinespace and the likes do.

They basically want a good starting point at how to kitbash things together and use some basic scripting. i.e. even replace doors with their own and for the scripts to keep working. Even an understanding regarding how to locate door scripting and use. Along with added sit systems on Furniture and adding basic interactive things like turning lights on/off.

These personal spaces end up being more private to full blown social hang out areas which creators build. Also such projects may encourage people in getting started with using Core and result in them adding mini games and even taking on the task of full blown game development.

This request is more targeted at Metaverse building as opposed to Game Dev building. However, does overlap.

While I myself have not fully thought out everything possible or what could be covered in helping people get started. I also wondered some about perhaps this being part of CC Content Challenge as well. Where people design starter scenes/templates. i.e. Apartment or House. Which is furnished with interactive furnishing. Chairs, Couchs and such with players can sit in. Doors that open/shut. Light on/off system with perhaps some kind of Documentation regarding how to mod or use.

I'm making this suggestion, because I had to point out some different resources, tutorials and share some of the things which they were most interested in. In terms of getting started in building their own personal spaces in Core.

There are some aspects of this which I've not even thought about. The concept is Tutorials and/or assets/template scenes stuff which is useful for somebody new to core trying to build a personal space to which they are use to doing on other Virtual World Metaverse platforms.

1 Like

All related to landscapes and art in big maps. From the scratch draw of an idea to make it look good with the post process and sounds, etc. after getting the desired look and playability. Different types of landscapes depending on the game. How to use splines to make a river or a road, how to mix it with the city assetts. How to apply lighting, ambient sounds, day-night cycles. How to use the volumes in the maps and so on. I think there is many things we need in new tutorials.

New tutorial ideas:

1. Advanced Weapon creation: Show creators how to create projectile gun-like weapons for their games. Gun games are still some of the most popular around, and teaching new and old creators how to customize art and FX for weapons would probably help everyone level up their shooting games.

2. Fantasy Weapon creation: World of warcraft, runescape, zelda, and plenty of other games have had LEGENDARY melee weapons that set them apart from so many other games. What is link without the sword and shield? What is runescape without godswords and dragon weapons? These are weapons that we take for granted from an art POV, but teaching others how to make them would probably be lots of fun, and very interesting for new creators.

3. Maps: I think we should make some whitebox maps (small medium and large), that creators can use for any purpose. So many games involve combat, but most new game developers do not understand map balances. Lanes, choke points, high and low ground, and long angles can help make maps better for combat and exploration games. I think the community would benefit from being able to go through some different map set-ups in the WHITEBOX form, so that those physical game ideas can be better understood. We could also then cover applying some basic materials from core to getting maps out of the whitebox look.

4. Portals: I have portals set up in The Great Downhill Race, and it is something that so many players have commented on in the game world. I think creating a tutorial that shows other creators how to make a portal, link their game, and then apply some custom art to it would be a great one. Maybe even arranging a few portals in a small hub-world type platform?

5. Custom artwork in games: Via the portal capture method, we can now use a game thumbnail to create banners, update cards, and more in Core. We used some incredible art in Seishin Island that is actually from Feudal Japan. This is one of those more advanced art-minded tasks for sure.

6. Abilities: a tutorial on how to set up a flying ability, speed ability, heal ability, and more would probably be helpful to nearly everyone who isnt exactly sure how to do it.

7. Advanced promotion and marketing: self explanatory here, I think we just need MORE of this on all of Core.

8. Customizing NPC's and Animal Rigs: A lot can be done with the npc's and the dragon sockets and fox sockets with enough creative thinking. Explaining some of this to newbies and to those who dont know would help a lot. Having unique npcs and montsers in games is HUGE!

1 Like

A merged models comprehensive tutorial would be nice. I see a lot of creators not using it, and that is something I've struggled with too. The video tutorial on this matter is pretty good and I did learn a lot from it and it really made me use them a lot, but there are quite a lot of quirks that are not mentioned in it.

and they never work