Start Date: January 21, 2022
Due Date: February 15, 2022 (by end of day, Pacific Time)
Each entrant is eligible for a payment of up to $350, with a minimum of $50 if the entry meets the minimum standards. The exact payment amount for each entrant will be based on the quality of the entrant’s work.
There is an art to making a great environment in Core, that involves not just the terrain, but all the other effects that make it feel real and alive. This includes atmospheric effects such as fog and haze, lighting effects from the sky, water effects, sound effects and more.
The goal of this tutorial is to describe how to use the various environmental effects to enhance a terrain and make it look and feel as good as possible.
Some of the topics to consider for your tutorial are listed below.
Discuss creating atmospheric effects such as fog, as well as localized adjustment volumes.
- Fog Adjustment Volume
- Volumetric Fog Injector Volume VFX
- Environment Fog Default VFX
- Instant Fog Volume VFX
- Wispy Fog Volume VFX
- Fog Settings Object
Discuss lighting, the sky, haze, as well as localized adjustment volumes.
- Using skyboxes
- Sun Adjustment Volume
- Sky Dome Adjustment Volume
- Skylight Adjustment Volume
- Sun Settings Object
- Skydome Settings Object
- Skylight Settings Object
Discuss how to make water feel realistic with volumes, effects, and sounds.
- Swimming Physics Volume
- Underwater Post Process
- Underwater sounds
- Post process effects for the environment
- Adding weather effects such as rain or snow
Day & Night Cycle
- Adding a day and night cycle
- Nature sounds
- Water sounds
- Ambient sounds
- Discuss turning on gizmos in order to visually view volumes, sounds, and other elements that have a size or range.
Provide example environmental effects for users to download in Community Content or an editable public game.
Publish a written and/or video tutorial on this topic to the Core forums as per the instructions in your application acceptance message.
Provide tutorial assets (models, scripts, UI, etc) in Community Content or an editable public game, and include a link within the tutorial. This allows creators to open the final project in Core.
Video tutorials must have voice overs in English.
Your work will be judged based on the Judging Criteria.
The above link also contains important information about best practices and other topics.
If you have any questions, then please visit the challenge board channels on the Core Discord server.
HOW TO APPLY
For instructions on how to apply, please visit the Tutorial Challenge Board Application Form post.
SUBMITTING YOUR WORK
- Your application acceptance message includes instructions on how to publish your tutorial.
- Entrants must publish their tutorial by the deadline listed in the challenge in order to be considered for payment.
- Failure to publish your tutorial on time may affect your eligibility for future challenges.
For more information about the rules, judging criteria, and other important information please visit the Tutorial Challenge Board Rules post.