[Core Certification] Part II - Showcase your work!

Hey again everyone!

Here is the reference I chose:
CoreCertIIRef

And here is what I came up with:

I'm quite satisfied with my results. I would have liked to get the cliffside to look a bit more like the reference, but I couldn't quite get it so I stopped messing around with it before I made it worse.

As far as the course goes. I would have been provided with some more information about the sky box/lights rather than just a quick shout at the end to say to mess with them. I also would have liked a bit more in depth information about the tools we used such as the sculpting, flatten, etc. I don't know if it's me but some of the tools were definitely a bit confusing to work with.

Over all, I had a lot of fun with this module.

EDIT: Here is the link to my unlisted project:

1 Like

Reference:

My Result:

My project:

1 Like

It was hard to follow with the Certification course.. feels like stuff was missing or not explained.

Alright here goes:
image-50

Link unlisted project: Core learning 2 by Vuurvosje - Core Games

I found this second part extremely helpful and also fun, altough there are still a few things that confuse me a little bit. I would prefer the water part to be seperated from the reference tough.

1 Like

My try on this is here
I used grass as I didn't see it was in fact trees in the ref pic.
image-49
My take on it:

At least I got a waterfall in there =)

2 Likes

Unlisted Project 1

Unlisted Project 2:

i made the Yosemite scene first in Project 2 with clay and shapes. Project 1 the scene is made entirely using the terrain tools :smiley: i made a small mini game in project 2 where you gotta find the hidden forest and there are clues everywhere with the wooden signs.

1 Like

base

good course for learning painting and terrain.

1 Like

core certification PartII
natale in arrivo ma ancora fa caldo

2 Likes

image-50

And the link to my project.

Thank you for this opportunity!

2 Likes

Ramping it up, a little more difficulty involved, but definitely still enjoyable.
Here is my link

1 Like

My project did not produce an environment that replicated the image, but I really like what I made and hope it qualifies all the same.

Screenshots

Link to the project

As for what could be improved, there wasn't much guidance when it came to sizing. It would be possible to create a level where forced perspective made the banks seem further away, but you'd have to make it so the player couldn't get there. There was a mention of how much data environments take up but just a few more lines on how size relates to playability would have been helpful.

Some mention of possible pitfalls would also help. At one point I hit enter when I shouldn't have and spawned over a million instances of grass. Since then, the terrain object has been coloured red. It all seems to work just fine still, but I can't tell how or even if I should get it to go back to the original colour.

But this was definitely a really fun and exciting part of the course! Working the map became almost meditative, and the ideas I had started coming fast and furiously.

1 Like

Original:
Winter Trees

My Version:

Not too sure why creating a custom material caused my leaves to become low poly like that but I loved the rest.

Link: Core II Environment by mossynodes - Core Games

1 Like

This is what I chose.
image-51

Here's what I came up with.

1 Like

Oh, this one was harder than it looked. What TREE is used in this original version? I spent literally so many hours just trying to get the right tree....and it's still wrong. Couldn't figure out how to get the "cotton ball" look for the leaves. I even tried to kitbash, and my attempt was terrible. Seriously, someone please tell me what tree that was or how the tree was created in the original version. I would really like to know.

I also couldn't really tell what items were in the middle of the pic. I assumed one of them was a slide (??), but didn't know what the other 2 or 3 images were.

Unlisted game link: Core Certification Part II by Skinny.Dork - Core Games

Anywho....

image-51

1 Like

Hello again,

I do not know if you recognize me from the other post but I'm back already ha ha . .

Have a nice day,
-Nickolas McIntyre

Y'know.. if I was to get hired for some good money by a game development company.. I think level design would be my thing

1 Like

I chose the snowy screenshot to replicate. Overall this module was fairly straight forward, but I could have used some more screenshots to show where the different menus were. Also I would maybe suggest having the person create two maps, one which they follow along with the lesson plan, and one they use to replicate the scene they selected, as I kept having to do things to my scene to follow the lesson, but then change it back in order to replicate the screenshot I selected.

Link to my project: CoreCertp2 by dtb01 - Core Games

Showcase for certification II.

Link to game in core: KaisonCertificationP2 by KaisonOC - Core Games