Toggling visibility of UI elements

edit: I did figure out the main issue.

I'm new to Lua and have just been trying to get a handle of how I can use a script to make changes to variables on other components outside of the script. I've been able to make references to the object I want to change the variable of, but I don't know exactly how to refer to the variable, assuming this is possible in the first place.

Also, do I need to enable networking on the object? I assume that would have to do with a server-side permission, but is it just necessary in order to make changes to variables at runtime?

So, for example, I want to use a script to check the visibility status and enable or disable the visibility of a UI Container object (or anything with a visibility variable, in theory) when I press a keybind. I haven't been able to find the scripts that I assume are included somewhere to deal with the actual exit menu, which could probably show me what to do.

Right now, this is what I have (below). It doesn't work yet. I just guessed at the variable references since I couldn't find more details on it and nothing populated automatically in the script editor. The visibility variable is under the header/component of "Scene," but I don't know if I need to include that somewhere in the reference to the variable. The keybinds also don't work properly (I just found the Redirecting... so I'll fix that soon). But I'd probably want to change it to being based in/editable by the player in the Settings->Controls menu as well, if there's any information on how that can be done, if it can be.

Script so far:

local propUIElement = script:GetCustomProperty("UIElement"):WaitForObject()
local propKeybind1 = script:GetCustomProperty("Keybind1")
local propKeybind2 = script:GetCustomProperty("Keybind2")

function OnBindingPressed(whichPlayer, binding)
if binding == "ability_extra_" .. propKeybind1 or binding == "ability_extra_" .. propKeybind2 then
if not propUIElement.visiblity == "Forced On" then
propUIElement.visiblity = "Forced On"
else
propUIElement.visiblity = "Forced Off"
end
end
end

function OnPlayerJoined(player)
player.bindingPressedEvent:Connect(OnBindingPressed)
end

Game.playerJoinedEvent:Connect(OnPlayerJoined)

edit:
The main issue seemed to be just not using the proper capitalization and values. I did a few other things, but with this structure, it seems to be working better:

uiElement.visibility = Visibility.FORCE_ON

To add onto what you said with your edit. Here are the three visibility options:

Visibility.INHERIT
Visibility.FORCE_ON
Visibility.FORCE_OFF

Instead of using FORCE_ON, I'd recommend INHERIT 99% of the time to turn on objects. That way, your UI sticks to the visibility of the hierarchy. If you have a parent obect set to FORCE_OFF, but a child object is set to FORCE_ON, that child object would show which might lead to confusion.

propUIElement.visiblity = Visibility.INHERIT