Is there a way to override footstep sounds per material or per mesh?

Hello, I was wondering whether there are any settings or scripts that would allow me to pick the set of sounds played when a player walks or falls on a particular surface. I know it changes based on the material of the model, but I would ideally like to be able to mix-and-match the sounds with the looks.

My main use case is the surreal fantasy environment I'm building where I ended up using the Magic Glass material to represent whimsical terrain. I've got it looking exactly how I want, but the realistic pounding-on-ceramic sound that happens whenever the player steps on one of the surfaces is an immersion-breaking reminder that the material isn't a "real" terrain. I think the impossible-yet-true vibe would be better conveyed with something like dirt or snow sound effects.

Neither materials nor meshes seem to have any sound settings on them, and although I can see how to add a footstep sound to the hierarchy, I don't know how to make them replace what's built in. The only workaround I can come up with is to duplicate every piece of ground into a sound version and a visual version. I'm a bit nervous about this cutting into my object budget, since some of the areas contain a lot of meshes. Is there any other way?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to do this other than what you have already suggested. There are some posts about this on discord and I have put a feature request in (only 3 days ago!) .

Here is what I said, I'm not sure how easy it is to do any of it, but I figured I may as well ask for everything and hope to get something:

Please allow us to set the player footstep volume for the player and other players (independently of each other).

Allow us the same automated sounds with the above controls for all animated rigs so that our AI can have the same footstep sounds and the same adjustable control.

Allow the specific footstep sound and volume (as in point 1) to be selected in custom materials instead of tying us to the default sound for that material.

Allow foot step sound type and volume to be set by script so that we can change footstep sounds and volume by trigger / events etc.

I suggest you add your own request to increase focus on this area. If you do figure out any better solutions to this, please post here!